Mozambique is a country in southeastern Africa, bordered by the Indian ocean, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Tanzania. A former colony of Portugal, the country had a rocky start as an independent nation (starting in 1975). After a civil war that ended in 1992, Mozambique is showing potential as a developing nation.
A fun fact Mozambique is that it is the only country in the world with a modern weapon on its’ flag. In 2015, Mozambique was ranked 180th out of 187 on the United Nations’s Human Development index (HDI) and has a life expectancy of 53 years.
If you’re interested in a more comprehensive overview of Mozambique, no one can say it better than Anthony Bourdain, who once filmed an episode of No Reservations in Mozambique- which is what completely convinced me to accept my Peace Corps invitation. Link here.
For more Peace Corps Blogs check these out:
- MD to Moz by Leslie in Nakhololo, Nampula Province
- KT Phone Home by Katie in Machipanda, Manica Province
- Matt in Mozambique by Matt in Manjangue, Gaza Province
- Peter’s Peace Corps Blog by Peter in Xilembene, Gaza Province (this blog has won multiple awards for having the most original name)
- Lizambique by Liz in Angonia, Tete Province